What to Do

If you are involved in an accident, there are a few things you need to be aware of that are
common misconceptions in this industry:

  1. You can have your vehicle repaired at any facility YOU choose, not the insurance
    company's choice.
  2. You are not required to get more than one estimate.
  3. You are not required to take your car to a drive-in claim service. Every insurance
    company has adjusters that will come out to your location or our facility to inspect your
    vehicle claim.
  4. Differences in repair estimates are common. We will inspect all insurance estimates
    to make sure your vehicle is being properly and handle those for you that are not.
  5. If your vehicle is towed from an accident site, tell the tow company where you would
    like your vehicle taken to. You can have your vehicle towed directly to Vashaw's
    Collision if our facility is where you choose.

There are several types of accidents and you probably would like to know what to do in
each situation, since each is unique. Let us help.

You have a minor dent/s or some scratches you would like taken care of.

Those pesky little dings from stones or scratches from your snow brush can be
bothersome to your eye. Come in for an estimate. These are usually not high in cost so
you probably don't need to take care of these things through your insurance company.

You need glass on your vehicle replaced.

Call your insurance company and report a glass claim. They will inform you of whether
or not you have full glass coverage. If you have glass coverage, you can rest assured that
we can handle the entire process for you after you report the claim. All you have to do is
call and let your insurance company know that you would like your glass replaced at
Vashaw's Collision Service. Then swing down to us, let us get the proper specifications
off your vehicle, order it up and set up a date to replace it. If you do not have full glass
coverage, you will have to pay your deductible and the same process applies.

You are involved in a collision.

Exchange information with the other party/ies involved.
Call the police if another vehicle was involved. The police will be able to provide you
with an instant report at the scene of the accident-that will have all of the other vehicles
information. Also get as much information from the other driver yourself. Their name,
phone number, insurance company, policy number, year/make/model of the vehicle, and
plate number. Try to get witnesses names and phone numbers if there were any as well.

*Call your insurance company.

If you believe you are at fault in the accident, you should call and report the accident to your insurance company. Write down your claim number, the adjuster's name and phone number, your deductible, find out if you have rental coverage.
If you believe the other party was at fault, you may want to call their insurance
company to find out if they filed a claim. If this is the case, you may have to wait to repair your vehicle until their insurance company settles liability to repair your vehicle

*0n the instant report the police provide you, the other parties insurance company code is
located under Insurance Code and company. You can find the phone number by going to

If you are not sure who was at fault and do not want to wait for liability to be
determined, you can use your own insurance company. With this process, when liability is determined (if you are not at fault), you're insurance company may then go through a process called "subrogation". This is when your insurance company goes after the other parties insurance company to get back the monies paid to repair your vehicle, medical costs, etc... This includes your deductible which your company will then reimburse you when it is all settled.


copyright © Vashaw's Collision 2017